Friday, June 17, 2005

Larry & Joan

Larry and Joan struggled to make ends meet and they fought a lot.  They talked often about what was wrong with their marriage and kept blaming each other.  Then one day, an extraordinary event took place.

 

One day, Larry said, 'You know, Jo ann, I have a magic chest of drawers.  Every time I open them, they're full of socks and underwear.  I want to thank you for filling in my drawers with socks and underwear all these years.

 

Jo ann stared at her husband over the top of her classes, 'What do you want, Larry''

 

'I just want you to know I appreciate those magic drawers.'

 

Jo ann pushed the incident out of her mind until a few days later.  'Jo ann, thank you for recording so many correct check numbers in the ledger this month.  You put down the right numbers 15 out of 16 times.  That's a record.'

 

Disbelieving what she had heard, Jo Ann looked up from her mending.  'Larry, you're always complaining about my recording the wrong check numbers.  Why stop now''

 

'No reason.  I just wanted you to know I appreciate the effort.'' 

 

Jo ann shook her head and went back to her mending.  What's wrong with him'  She thought.

 

She tried to ignore it, but Larry's strange behavior intensified. 

 

'Jo ann, that was a great dinner.'  He said one evening.  'I appreciate all your effort.  Why, in the past 15 years I'll bet you've fixed over 14 thousand meals for me and the kids.'

Then, he'd say, 'Wow Joan the house looks great!' and 'Thanks, Jo ann, for just being you.  I really enjoy your company.'

 

Jo ann was growing worried.  Where's the sarcasm, the criticism' 

 

But Jo ann's step was now a little lighter. 

That would be the end of the story except one day another extraordinary event took place.  This time it was Jo Ann who spoke. 

 

'Larry,'  she said, I want to thank you for going to work and providing for us all these years.  I don't think I've ever told you how much I appreciate it.'

 

Larry never revealed the reason for his dramatic change of behavior, but it's one I'm

thankful to live with.    You see'  I'm Jo ann.    

 

That was taken from the book 365 moments to cherish, an excerpt from an article written by Jo ann Larsen in the Desert News.

No comments: