Thursday, June 16, 2005

Like Father Like Son

Like Father, like Son There once was a poor Scottish farmer named Fleming. One day Fleming heard a voice crying for help. He dropped his tools and ran to the where the voice was coming from. A boy had fallen on quicksand and was screaming as he struggled to free himself. Farmer Fleming saved the boy from what could have been a slow and terrifying death. The next day, an elegantly dressed nobleman visited Farmer Fleming and introduced himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved. The nobleman said, I want to repay you for saving my son’s life. "No, I can't accept payment for what I did," the Scottish farmer replied. At that moment, the farmer's own son came to the door. "Is that your son?" the nobleman asked. "Yes," the farmer replied proudly. "I'll make you a deal. I will send your son to school. I want him to have the same education my son has. If this boy is like his father, then I’m sure he’ll grow to be a man we both will be proud of." And that he did. Farmer Fleming's son attended the very best schools and in time, he graduated from St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London. The farmer’s son went on to become known throughout the world as the noted Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of Penicillin. Years afterward, the nobleman's son was stricken with pneumonia. What saved his life this time? You guessed it, Penicillin. The name of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill. His son's name? Sir Winston Churchill. God never overlooks a kind act. Fathers - you may not be able to leave your kids with land titles – but you can always leave them with good values. We would like to congratulate every father listening now who has done just that. In God’s time, your hard work will pay off.

No comments: